It became pretty hectic the last week of casting and installing Daphne so it was hard to get to the blog. I am now at home but will finish up the story of my wonderful residency at Lotusland.
My strategy when I started to install was to first create an inventory of the different tiles and colours of the beeswax. I had a beautiful brown wax and a bright yellow wax plus colours in between that once melted became the colour of caramel and butterscotch… food analogies! The different colours are a result of the plant life in the realm of the bee and also oxidization. Here are images of my stock piles. The lotus pods I decided should have a monochromatic look while the colour of the tiles, objects and succulents I wanted to vary to allow for randomness in my installation.
After I had an inventory I began to work steadily on the back wall which I had decided would be the site for the lotus pods. I made a decision to frame the door with the pods encrusted the way Ganna Walska had used the abalone shells at the clam shell pool.
Of course while I was installing I was also madly casting tiles to keep the inventory high.
Raj and Robert were amazing and helped with many aspects of my installation. From carrying in the wax (30lb blocks)and helping each morning to put the wax into the large pot.
The wall was almost finished and just needed more lotus pods. I began the baroque tile wall next.
Daphne is complete. In tomorrows post I will unveil the whole thing with images of the opening too.
Categorised in: Blog