08 Mar

Almost There!

It became pretty hectic the last week of casting and installing Daphne so it was hard to get to the blog.  I am now at home but will finish up the story of my wonderful residency at Lotusland.

My strategy when I started to install was to first create an inventory of the different tiles and colours of the beeswax.  I had a beautiful brown wax and a bright yellow wax plus colours in between that once melted became the colour of caramel and butterscotch…  food analogies!  The different colours are a result of the plant life in the realm of the bee and also oxidization. Here are images of my stock piles.  The lotus pods I decided should have a monochromatic look while the colour of  the tiles, objects and succulents I wanted to vary to allow for randomness in my installation.

lotus pod mounds ready for installation

lotus pod mounds ready for installation

various sizes and colours

various sizes and colours

succulents on the table waiting to be placed on the wall

succulents on the table waiting to be placed on the wall

After I had an inventory I began to work steadily on the back wall which I had decided would be the site for the lotus pods.  I made a decision to frame the door with the pods encrusted the way Ganna Walska had used the abalone shells at the clam shell pool.

the building of the lotus pod wall

the building of the lotus pod wall

Of course while I was installing I was also madly casting tiles to keep the inventory high.

the encrusted abalone shells around the clamshell pool

the encrusted abalone shells around the clamshell pool

pattern and field tile moulds full of beeswax

pattern and field tile moulds full of beeswax

pattern tiles

pattern tiles

succulent moulds cooling

succulent moulds cooling

Raj carrying in the last shipment of beeswax.

Raj carrying in the last shipment of beeswax.

Raj and Robert were amazing and helped with many aspects of my installation.  From carrying in the wax (30lb blocks)and helping each morning to put the wax into the large pot.

Raj gently placing the beeswax block into the large pot

Raj gently placing the beeswax block into the large pot

lotus pods

lotus pods

pod wall almost complete

pod wall almost complete

The wall was almost finished and just needed more lotus pods.  I began the baroque tile wall next.

Raj drilling holes into the objects before we put them on the wall

Raj drilling holes into the objects before we put them on the wall

tile wall building quickly

tile wall building quickly

the pinapples and candelabras and doorknobs are being added

the pinapples and candelabras and doorknobs are being added

I was happy with the combination of the tiles and the objects

I was happy with the combination of the tiles and the objects

love this view

love this view

finally the succulent wall

finally the succulent wall

 

The succulent wall carpet was heavy and I used green masking tape to hold things in place until they had set.

The succulent wall carpet was heavy and I used green masking tape to hold things in place until they had set.

 

I also added pattern tiles which I loved the texture of

I also added pattern tiles which I loved the texture of

 

the colour variations are lovely

the colour variations are lovely

Daphne is complete. In tomorrows post I will unveil the whole thing with images of the opening too.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien